What To Look For When Reporting a Wildlife Violation:
The more information that you can supply, and the more specific you can be, the better the chances are for apprehending the violator. Here are some of the things to look for:
- Names, addresses, age(s) of suspects, along with as complete a description as possible.
- Physical descriptions of violator(s).
- Type of violation - be specific - when and where it occurred.
- Poaching is the illegal taking or possession of any game, fish or non-game species.
- Hunting out-of-season or at night with spotlights or taking more than the legal limit are obvious signs of poaching.
- The illegal introduction of non-native fish species into Maine waters is a very serious offense that needs to be reported.
Provide all of the information you can:
- As exact a location as possible.
- Number of shots heard.
- Number of suspects.
- Clothing worn.
- Vehicle description, including type, year, color and license number.
- If you know how a poached animal is being transported, or where it is being stored, tell us about it.
- Remember, get the information to us as soon as possible.